Out rounds began today. With no St Andrews team in the break we decided that St Andrews alumni Ben counted as one of us so we alternated between supporting him as part of Cambridge A, other members of SSDC and our friends from around Europe. Most of the motions from euros have been pretty opp heavy… this continued more so than ever today (ESL semi in particular) (note Niamh from Strath heard this motion and reacted by saying “fuck me bendy”)
Also note that the final break spot for ESL was tied not only on team points but speaks, they had not faced each other over the course of Euros so for the first time ever we had a “debate off” for the last position in break between Leiden C and Belgrade C. It was brutal – Belgrade C (opp) were the eventual winners.
Debate Off – THW mandate membership of labour unions for all workers
Open Quarter – THBT supreme/constitutional courts should not strike down legislation
ESL quarter – THW require companies to put graphic images of animal suffering on all products (including food) that causes animal harm or suffering
Open Semi – TH as the US, would invade and partition Iraq
ESL Semi – THBT the leaders of religious minorities in Europe should encourage their congregation not to practice their faith publicly (St Andrews bonus competition – anyone that comes up with a legit prop gets a souvenir from Croatia)
News St Andrews might care about
- Ben (from CG) got through his quarter with no issues, we didn’t see his semi but he thinks it went very well! We’ll let you know.
- Edinburgh also got through their semi. They were OG in the semi, it was an excellent debate!! Again we’ll keep you posted!
- GUU A unfortunately went out in the quarter but put up a very good fight against tough competition.
- Leiden A (Dan and Karin) got through their quarter with ease! They were very good in the semi from CO! Hopefully they’ll be in the final tomorrow!
Social last night was in a really cool open air bar on a lake. It was really fun! There was an awkward moment when we walked in to the tune of blurred lines with what was essentially pornographic images projected on the walls… a) know your audience! b) these images were soon turned off and there was no more Thicke in sight.
The break provided much suspense followed by either dashing for the first bus for those that broke or as was the case for St Andrews many drinks being consumed! Social was meant to last til three but they turned off the music and began packing up the club about 1.30 – we were confused. While waiting for the bus St Andrews, having done too much debating over the last few days, managed to get into a debate about whether or not it is preferable to have no one interested in you or have someone you are not interested in be interested in you and then you get to reject them. That was exactly as confusing as it sounds and yes we are probably bad people…! The consensus was unanimously the second… yeah we suck.
1. We all made a “friend” named Croatian Joe. Croatian Joe introduced himself to us as a homophobe, and also told us about a past pet horse that he had named “Adolf” to commemorate “a great German leader”. Kind of disturbing. Joe enlightens us into two of his biggest dreams: 1. A sexual fantasy involving Vladimir Putin, and 2. Being able to ride a polar bear like a car in Monaco and park it next to “ferrari and mazzaratti”. Wonderful stuff. He also “high fived” read: hit Alyssa’s forehead. He also advocated for genocide. #toplad *Disclaimer: St Andrews does not endorse Croatian Joe*
2. Charlie wanted to be the first to leave the social…lol.
3. Any time the St Andrews teams talk to each other, we find it impossible to avoid using lingo like the “comparative” and “points of clash”
4. Isabel’s roommate continues to be a mystery. We think she’s hoarding toilet paper.
5. Zagreb is actually gorgeous…today we realized that this whole time we’ve been staying in Zagrebian slums.
6. Gillis and Charlie headed to a bar and were greeted by the promise of free beers from the bartender. He then proceeded by bringing them two bottles, as well as a bill which he expected to be paid. As a consolation prize, the boys were handed a crayon with which they could declare their love for Zagreb on the bar’s wall.
That’s all for tonight, we’ll let you know who makes the final and all the events of tonights “rockabilly” social…we’re quite unsure what to expect. Especially we just found an advert on the club’s website advertising to locals to come and meet debaters…maybe we will meet Croatian Joe again!